We are looking for a dynamic, experienced individual to join our growing Dakar office to support the development of our political risk and business intelligence consulting in Senegal and Francophone West Africa.
We help our clients to analyse political risk in the region, conduct due diligence on potential partners or investments, and to investigate and resolve contentious and sensitive problems. The essence of our work is helping our clients to make informed business and investment decisions.
The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of political and business dynamics in Francophone West Africa, and a strong existing network of contacts in government, journalism, or business. The role will be client-facing: the candidate will deliver excellence as a project manager and experienced analyst, working on complex and exciting assignments in support of our clients.
In addition, the candidate will also support our business development efforts, by engaging with organisations based in Dakar and the wider region. Prior business development experience is not essential, though an understanding of how clients use our services and an entrepreneurial attitude is important.
Demonstrating regional expertise
- Maintain a strong understanding of political and business dynamics in Francophone West Africa through research and engagement with contacts.
- Develop and effectively manage government, academic, journalistic and business contacts in the region that can add insights to client requests. Critically assess the information from these sources and share knowledge about sources with other members of the desk.
- Manage high-quality political risk and business intelligence projects, from scoping to delivery.
- Work with other West Africa-focused colleagues to provide regular and high-quality coverage of relevant developments affecting the business environment in Francophone West Africa.
- Convey complex information and recommendations in a confident, persuasive and accessible manner that helps clients assess the materiality of risks and make informed decisions. Contribute to the development of compelling client deliverables and propose innovative ways to present facts and analysis to clients.
Business development and marketing
- Identify prospects for political risk analysis and business intelligence services in Senegal and the wider Francophone West Africa region.
- Conduct targeted business development with prospects in the region, both in Senegal and by travelling in the region where required.
- Develop and manage relationships with clients that are significant buyers of political risk and business intelligence services in the region. This will also require collaborating closely with Control Risks colleagues in other regions to promote our capabilities to deliver high-quality consulting services in Francophone West Africa.
- Developing our products and deliverables in response to client feedback to account for local market conditions.
- Contribute to regional marketing initiatives, including thought leadership, articles, podcasts, etc. Represent Control Risks as a regional expert at conferences, marketing events/campaigns and in the media when required.
We are looking for candidates who demonstrate some of the following characteristics:
- At least three years of full-time professional experience in consulting, political risk analysis, emerging market analysis, market intelligence, public policy, academia, or government, with a primary focus on Francophone West Africa (whether focused primarily on Senegal, or the UEMOA/WAEMU region as a whole).
- Practical experience of living, working or travelling in Senegal or another UEMOA/WEAMU country.- Knowledge and understanding of the political and commercial environment for business in the region.
- Network of contacts in Senegal and/or the wider Francophone West Africa region (public and private sector, policy and academia, journalism, government, etc.)
- Experience conducting business development and developing/maintaining client relationships, or a well-developed understanding of how clients buy and use our political risk and business intelligence consulting.
- Experience managing complex projects and presenting findings to clients.
- Track record of relevant publications, participation in conferences and events, or providing expert comment to media
- Proven ability to write and verbally communicate with authority and clarity in both French and English, and proficiency in local languages.
- Control Risks offers a competitively positioned compensation and benefits package that is transparent and summarised in the full job offer.
- We operate a discretionary global bonus scheme that incentivises, and rewards individuals based on company and individual performance.
- Control Risks supports hybrid working arrangements, wherever possible, that emphasise the value of in-person time together – in the office and with our clients – while continuing to support flexible and remote working